The Mangawhai Skatepark concept has been designed to integrate a SENSE OF PLACE while being modern in its objectivity and form.
To achieve this SENSE OF PLACE we have looked at connecting the design to its local environment through its history, existing phenomenon and materials.
Areas taken into consideration include:
- Importance of the area to Maori for portage between the Mangawhai Harbour and Kaipara Harbour
- Early settlement being dependant on the harbour as a point of access.
- The typography of Mangawhai from the harbour into the surrounding landform
- Materials and textures of the local environment.
- Attractions in the Mangawhai area
- The design will not be limited to these areas as it can develop through further input and involvement with the local community.
Websites and park guides that feature this skate park.